Mesh Mashup: Remastered

 For this week's project, I was assigned to choose one of the ten mashups I created last week and recreate the chosen model in Mesh Mixer. This was a very tough choice for me, as I wasn't entirely sure which direction I wanted to go in for my final model. However, the feedback from last class set me onto the right path. I had gotten a lot of feedback from my various classmates on which remixed model I should choose. I recieved quite the variety of opinions, ranging from going with a more simple design with a stronger message or making something more over-the-top and out there for my final model. I took all the feedback I recieved into consideration but decided on a remix that I not only thought could be strong conceptually, but could also be improved and expanded upon within the new program. This led to my decision to remake the tentacle fire hydrant design from my previous blogpost. 

Original Tinkercad Model

The original design was rather standard, featuring only a single tentacle coming out of the top of a fire hydrant. It was simple, but I wanted to accomplish more with this design. I liked the idea of an octopus potentially bursting its tentacles out of the hydrant and making a somewhat surreal-looking piece that would give of a horror-inspired vide. So when transferring this piece over to Mesh Mixer, I decided to expand on that idea further. 






Remastered MeshMixer Model


When playing around with the features of Mesh Mixer, I really wanted to epshasize the movement of this particular object, making feel like it could potentially come to life. I think the inherent creepiness of tentacles along with the darker color palette enhanced the horror aspect of this remix. I also decided to add some water bursting out of the top and streaming down into the bottom of the model. While I am not particularily the most proud of how the modelling of the water turned out, I do think that it added to the overall composition and feel of the piece, making it worth leaving in.





Since this project focused so heavily on remix culture, I believe that my project succeeded in its main goal: To put two or more objects together to create an entirely new creation. Not only have I taken models that were created by completely separate creators and still made it feel like my own, I have also made something that feels cohesive and unique. The combination between the average fire hydrant that can be seen on any street corner with the organic, deep sea octopus tentacles creates a whole new meaning to this piece. The piece envokes the feeling that something is living inside this ordinary fire hydrant. I believe that adding a story to a piece can also emphasize the final product, which is what aided me in the decision of choosing this as my final remix. 
    As a whole, remix culture has allowed artists like myself to create entirely new meanings within existing works. This is extremely important within our modern society and how we as a collective interpret works of art. It allows creativity and ideas to flow from one individual to another, and that was what truly fueled the ideas presented in this piece.  


Objects used for this mashup:
Fire Hydrant with hole for magnet or suction cup
by jakn90
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4074981/files











Tentacle chess pawn
by VeerleC
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:172713/files




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3D Chess Set: Putting all the Pieces Together

PaperCraft Research: Hari and Deepti's Paper Lightboxes

Reversed Engineering: Deciding The Perfect Item To Take Apart