Objectified: Response

For my first official assigment within my 3D Object Design course, I was tasked to watch Gary Huskwit's documentary called Objectified and to design an object in the program Tinkercad inspired by the film. I decided to go with an old CRT Television and VHS set as my object of choice. I was inspired by a particular part in the documentary where it was mentioned that many of the objects that designers create end up in landfills. The documentary showed a lot of old TVs and computer hardware that was unused and eventually dumped. The object that I connected with the most was the old-fashioned CRT TV sets. I had grown up with VHS tapes and old TVs just when they were starting to slowly go out of style, as the new wave of technology was rolling in, so I have a deep nostalgic connection to older media players and technology of the sort. I also happened to live nearby an old recycling depo when I was younger. Community members would drop off all sorts of old technology that was no longer usuable by modern standards, so I happened to see a lot of old CRTs and VHS players lying around. It makes me think about how a lot of the objects we end up using have a very short lifespan within this world, and maybe as a society we can learn to improve that by making the products we use more sustainable, but that is an entirely different conversation for another day.

For the CRT model itself, I wasn't trying to recreate an exact brand or design, but I did take quite a lot of inspiration from the Grundig and Zenith models when recreating the object in Tinkercad.

I also added a few extra touches including some AV cables and a few old VHS tapes to bring back that feeling of nostalgia.

Overall, this assignment allowed me to test my skills in Tinkercad along with allowing myself to observe the meaning and impacts that certain objects have within our lives. I am very proud of what I have been able to accomplish in such a short amount of time, and I am exicted to keep making more in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3D Chess Set: Putting all the Pieces Together

PaperCraft Research: Hari and Deepti's Paper Lightboxes

Reversed Engineering: Deciding The Perfect Item To Take Apart